Cockburnspath, Pease Bridge
You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.Pease Bridge View looking W along deck John R Hume Date 10/4/1978 Copyright RCAHMS
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandAlternative Name(s)
PEASE BURN; PEASE DEANCanmore ID
SCOTTISH BORDERS, THENGR
NT 79153 69977Latitude, Longitude
NT76NE 30 79153 69977
Pease Bridge [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1977.
(NT 7915 6997) Pease Bridge was built in 1786. Comprising four tall arches, it is 300ft [91.5m] long, 16ft [4.9m] wide and 130ft [39.6m] high. The parapet is surmounted by an iron railing.
New Statistical Account (NSA, A Baird) 1845; A Thomson 1908.
Pease Bridge, 1786: David Henderson, mason/architect. Four tall arches, nearly 39m (130ft) high over the Pease Dean: the highest bridge in the world at the time of construction.
C A Strang 1994.
This bridge carries the A1107 public road over the Pease Burn to the SE of Cockburnspath village (NT77NE 65).
The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the structure. The available map evidence suggests that it extends from NT c. 79099 69967 to NT c. 79199 69972.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 1 February 2006.