You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey. Pencil plane table survey drawing and section. RCAHMS Date 28/6/1954 Copyright RCAHMS
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandCanmore ID
NT 5186 6356Latitude, Longitude
NT56SW 5 5186 6356.
(NT 5186 6356) Witches Knowe (NR)
OS 6" map (1957)
The fort on the summit of Witches Knowe, a steep-sided knowe, measures 340' by 130' within the remains of three ramparts. The innermost is a wall 12' thick, the outer pair ramparts with external ditches. The interior is covered with heather and nothing can be seen in it. There are two entrances, in the SE and SW, and each is flanked by the curving projection of the medial rampart.
R W Feachem 1963; RCAHMS 1924
A fort, generally as described.
Visited by OS (SFS) 16 August 1975
There is no evidence of stone walling on this fort; the inner rampart appears entirely earthen. The medial rampart seems an unfinished work, only 0.6m high. There are traces of possible marker trenches,0.1m deep, on both sides of this bank.
Visited by OS (JRL) 7 July 1979