West Addinston Hill
You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.Oblique aerial view RCAHMS Aerial Photography Date 1983 Copyright RCAHMS
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandAlternative Name(s)
SCOTTISH BORDERS, THENGR
NT 5232 5363Latitude, Longitude
NT55SW 5 Centred on 5232 5363
(NT 5230 5363) Camp (NR)
OS 6" map (1957)
The fort at Addinston consists of an oval enclosure measuring some 280' by 160' within two massive ramparts with external ditches, the outer of which has an upcast mound along part of its course. In the NW both ramparts stand over 15' high. Several circular, grass-grown, stony foundations lie inside the fort, but the most conspicuous, which measures 42' in diameter, may be suspected of being of a later date than the rest and possibly even a fold. The RCAHMS notes two entrances; in front of each is a crescentric depression traversing the roadway - the western is 35' by 8' by 2' deep, and the south-eastern is 27' by 7' by less than 2' deep.
R W Feachem 1963; RCAHMS 1915; D Christison 1895
The remains of this well-preserved fort are generally as described above. Within are the outlines of two possible hut circles and a circular turf-banked enclosure which is probably a sheepfold.
Revised at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 4 November 1963
This work is situated in a non-defensive situation at the end of a gentle ridge and is generally as described. The interior is covered in tall grass and only the foundations of a turf-banked sheepfold can be seen. No trace can be seen of the crescentric depressions noted by the RCAHMS.
Despite the size of the ramparts, its position suggests that this is more likely to be a settlement.
Visited by OS (SFS) 5 August 1975
Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1976, 1980, 1983 and 1995 and by CUCAP