Gullane, Saltcoats Road, Saltcoats Castle
You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.View from SW. Francis M Chrystal Date 1900 Copyright RCAHMS
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandCanmore ID
NT 48541 81877Latitude, Longitude
(NT 48541 81877) Saltcoats Castle (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map (1968)
Saltcoats Castle is described in the Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey (ONB) as' The ruins of an ancient castle near Saltocats House , the only portion remaining are the E end, the walls are a fraction of the ...
Name Book 1853
The late 16th c Saltcoats Castle consists of a main structure 72' by 23 1/2' which forms the S side of a courtyard with two projecting angle towers at the W end. The N wall and inner partitions of the main building are absent. Only the ground floor of some subsidiary buildings at the NE corner remain. The enclosing walls exist but are much repaired. The castle was still inhabited about 1790 but most of the building was removed for agricultural improvements about 1823-4.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913
Saltcoats Castle is generally as described except that the main block, which is virtually intact, forms the W side of the courtyard.
Visited by OS (RDL) 21 November 1962 and (SFS) 11 July 1975
The armorial stone of the builder, Patrick Levingtoun of Saltcoats, now mounted over the front door of a nearby cottage, probably came from over the door of the castle, and the date must be 1592 (the second digit crudely recut as a 3).
C McWilliam 1978
NT48SE 30 48501 81917 Dovecot
NT48SE 52 48503 81890 Market Garden house