Galston, Barr Castle
You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.Plans, sections and elevations. National Art Survey of Scotland Date 1900 Copyright RCAHMS
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandAlternative Name(s)
LOCKHART TOWER; BARR TOWERCanmore ID
NS 50155 36441Latitude, Longitude
NS53NW 1 50155 36441
(NS 50153644) Barr Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1967)
Barr Tower, also called Lockhart Tower from the name of the former proprietor, Lockhart of Barr, stands on a rock in the middle of Galston. It measures about 48ft by 35ft over walls some 7ft thick. The entrance is at first floor level. Built in the period 1400-1542, it has been much modernised and has entirely lost its original character. It is now used as a wool store.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889.
Barr Castle, a 15th century keep, is generally as described. It has been re-roofed but retains the lower part of a parapet with angle-turrets. A small modern porch has been attached to the SE angle.
Visited by OS (JLD), 18 May 1976.
Barr Castle (the accepted local name and that published on the latest OS 25" plan) is as described and in fair condition; it is not occupied. A marble plaque above the SW doorway states "The Scottish reformers George Wishart and John Knox preached in this place - AD 1545 and 1556 respectively". When and in what circumstances this plaque was erected was not established.
Visited by OS (JRL) 30 July 1982.