Aberdeen, Maberly Street, Broadford Works, Flax Store
Broadford Mills: Detailed view from S at roof level of the castellated water tower at the centre of the warehouse, which contained water for the fire sprinkler system. View in Canmore
Broadford Mills: General view from W of main facade of warehouse, clad in scaffolding during conversion to dwellings View in Canmore
Broadford Mills: Interior view from SE within typical compartment of the warehouse, this one being at the NE end of the first floor level. The view shows the interior ferro-concrete frame of the bulding, and the brick exterior and interior dividing walls. Note that each of the compartments were designed to be isolated to prevent the spread of fire, and the hole in the dividing wall (left) had recently been made by contractors converting the building to dwellings. Note also that the concrete frame tapers as it rises through the building, the columns on the top floor being much thinner than those on the ground floor. Many of the finer facing bricks appear to have been made by the Seton Brick Works in Aberdeen View in Canmore
Broadford Mills: Detail of turret at N corner of flax warehouse (known as the 'Bastille), whch contains one of the earliest known electrically-powered internal hoists in the UK (electric motor in situ on ground floor, made by Waygood Otis Ltd. of London, dating from 1912, when the building was constructed) View in Canmore
You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.
Organisation: Historic Environment Scotland (HES)
Alternative name(s): Broadford Firehose And Canvas Works