Sign in / register

Heriot Station And Bridge 48

Downtime notice: Due to essential work on our servers all images supplied by NRS, including the digital volumes, will be unavailable from midnight on Friday 3 October until midnight on Sunday 5 October (GMT).

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    THE WAVERLEY LINE; EDINBURGH TO HAWICK BRANCH RAILWAY
  • Canmore ID
    71902
  • Site type
    RAILWAY BRIDGE, RAILWAY STATION
  • Parish
    HERIOT
  • Council
    MIDLOTHIAN
  • NGR
    NT 40356 54592
  • Latitude, longitude
    55.78095N, 2.952511W
  • Archeological notes
    N/A
  • Architectural notes
    NT45SW 32.01 40536 54592 The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey describes Heriot Railway Station as 'A small station on the Hawick brranch of the North British Railway attached to this station is a neat built dwelling house and booking office'. Name Book 1853 The station is situated immediately W of the junction between the A7 trunk road and the B709 to Innerleithen. The platforms were staggered N and S of the former level crossing, that to the N having been landscaped within the garden of the former station house and booking office, whilst that to the S survives. The station house has been renovated and the trackbed at this point has been landscaped to form the garden. The remaining platform is built of concrete. The station was opened in 1847 as part of the North British Railway, Edinburgh to Hawick Branch and closed along with the rest of the Waverley Line in January 1969. Visited by RCAHMS (DE), 1 August 2006 Part of the station was photographed in 2007 as part of a survey of Waverley Line remains in advance of proposed rebuilding of the railway and to enhance and augment the existing holdings of the National Monuments Record Scotland. Information from RCAHMS (DE), April 2007 Noted on visit to undertake additional photography was Bridge No.48 (NT 40373 54513), about 48m SSE along the concrete platform. The bridge is visible as a slightly raised section of the platform with a metal span and metal handrails on both sides of the trackbed. Traces of the goods platforms to the N of the main station building. The building also served as the Post Office.

Related material information

DIGITAL IMAGES

  • 1069904 (20/2/2007)
    Oblique aerial view centred on station building, platform and level crossing, taken from the SW.
  • 1069903 (20/2/2007)
    Oblique aerial view centred on station building, platform and level crossing, taken from the W.
  • 1069902 (20/2/2007)
    Oblique aerial view centred on station building,platform and level crossing, taken from the WNW.
  • 1069901 (20/2/2007)
    Oblique aerial view centred on station building,platform and level crossing, taken from the WSW.
  • 1069900 (20/2/2007)
    Oblique aerial view centred on station building, platform and level crossing, taken from the NW.
  • 1149577 (25/8/2009)
    View from SSE showing rear of station master's house.
  • 1149576 (25/8/2009)
    View from WNW of bridge on up platform over Shoestanes Burn.
  • 1149575 (25/8/2009)
    View of from S showing up platform station master's house.
  • 1070603 (24/5/2007)
    View from N showing concrete up platform.

SCANNED IMAGES

  • 947688 (15/5/1992)
    Scanned image of vertical aerial view. Also shows part of course of The Waverley Line including Heriot Station.
  • 71902 (1930)
    Copy of historic photograph showing general view.

PHOTOGRAPHS

  • 71902 (1930)
    Copy of historic photograph showing general view.
  • 71902 (1/3/1992)
    View of W platform from S.

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Haddingtonshire, Sheet 221853
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Edinburghshire, Sheet 201853
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Berwickshire, Sheet XIIIA1853-57