Sign in / register

Drummoral

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    N/A
  • Canmore ID
    63063
  • Site type
    PROMONTORY FORT
  • Parish
    WHITHORN
  • Council
    WIGTOWNSHIRE
  • NGR
    NX 4615 3625
  • Latitude, longitude
    54.697699N, 4.388853W
  • Archeological notes
    NX43NE 1 4615 3625. (NX 4618 3629) Fort (NR) OS 6" map (1909) A promontory fort (R W Feachem 1956) occupies a rocky ridge which has a narrow flat top c.100 yds long, running E-W. Somewhat E of the centre of its length, it has been crossed by two ditches, separated by a high rampart, fortifying the W portion. The inner ditch, which is partly rock- cut, is 110' long, 30' wide at top, and 8' deep. The shallow outer ditch is 13' wide. Behind the defences, the ridge runs W at two levels, one 6' below the other, each 25'-30' broad, for a distance of c.44 yds, whence it falls away for 60'-70' to a rocky point. Its greatest height is 30'-40' on the N, and somewhat less to the S. RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911 NX 4615 3625. As described. Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (IA) 25 January 1973
  • Architectural notes
    N/A

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Wigtownshire, Sheet 341849