Sign in / register

Myrton Castle

Downtime notice: Due to essential work on our servers all images supplied by NRS, including the digital volumes, will be unavailable from midnight on Friday 3 October until midnight on Sunday 5 October (GMT).

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    N/A
  • Canmore ID
    62795
  • Site type
    CASTLE, MOTTE
  • Parish
    MOCHRUM
  • Council
    WIGTOWNSHIRE
  • NGR
    NX 36016 43275
  • Latitude, longitude
    54.757567N, 4.549897W
  • Archeological notes
    NX34SE 5 36016 43275. (NX 3601 4327) Myrton Castle (NR) (Remains of) OS 6" map (1957) Myrton Castle is in two distinct, disconnected parts. The original, early 16th century keep, which was probably c.40' high, occupies the summit of a mound, 20' high and 56' in diameter, surrounded by a well-defined ditch 6' deep, though much filled-up - evidently an earlier motte. All that remains of the keep is a fragment, c.22' square, open to the N, it was converted into a dovecot c.1860. At the base of the motte to the N, there is a large area of level ground before it again rises. This has been used to add an extension to the old structure, possibly in the late 17th century, at a level a storey below its base. There is now no structural connection between the two buildings, though one may have existed. What remains of the later building is L-shaped in plan, with a wide stair in the re-entrant angle. It is also fragmentary, except for the E wing which has been used as a dwelling, and was used for storage in 1911. The lands of Myrton belonged to the M'Cullochs, and it was visited by James IV, c.1511, the property passed to the Maxwells in 1682. D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911. Myrton Castle is as described. The E wing of the castle appears to be of a later date. Revised at 1/2500 (earthworks only). Visited by OS (IA) 31 January 1973
  • Architectural notes
    NMRS REFERENCE: Inventory Article No 186

Related material information

DIGITAL IMAGES

  • 1031849 (2/3/2006)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the castle and crannog with the cottage and offices adjacent, taken from the SSE.
  • 1031848 (2/3/2006)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the castle and crannog with the cottage and offices adjacent, taken from the SW.
  • 1031847 (2/3/2006)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the crannog with the remains of the castle, and the cottage and offices adjacent, taken from the W.
  • 1031846 (2/3/2006)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the crannog with the remains of the castle, and the cottage and offices adjacent, taken from the NW.
  • 1031845 (2/3/2006)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the castle and crannog with the cottage and offices adjacent, taken from the NNE.
  • 1031844 (2/3/2006)
    General oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the crannog and castle, and the cottage and offices, taken from the SSW.
  • 1031843 (2/3/2006)
    General oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the crannog and castle, and the cottage and offices, taken from the SW.
  • 1031842 (2/3/2006)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the crannog with the remains of the castle, and the cottage and offices adjacent, taken from the NW.
  • 1031841 (2/3/2006)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the castle and crannog with the cottage and offices adjacent, taken from the NNE.

PRINTS AND DRAWINGS

  • 62795 (1911)
    Ground floor plan of later building and first floor plan of keep.

PHOTOGRAPHS

  • 62795 (1973)
    General view.

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Wigtownshire, Sheet 291848