Sign in / register

Cruise Back Fell

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    N/A
  • Canmore ID
    61644
  • Site type
    FORT
  • Parish
    NEW LUCE
  • Council
    WIGTOWNSHIRE
  • NGR
    NX 1794 6219
  • Latitude, longitude
    54.921109N, 4.842357W
  • Archeological notes
    NX16SE 6 1794 6219. (NX 1794 6219) Camp (NR) OS 6" map (1957) A ruinous stone fort consisting of an oval enclosure found on a small rocky plateau by a heavy stone wall and measuring internally about 50' by 40'. It is joined on the south by what can be described as an annexe, a subsidiary enclosure measuring about 80' in length. RCAHMS mention circular chambers within the walls. R W Feachem 1963; RCAHMS 1912 Generally as described by Feachem and planned by RCAHMS. Several of the 'chambers' within the walls can still be seen but their date and purpose cannot be ascertained (some are excavation hollows). The entrance is undoubtedly in the west side of the annexe, the upper enclosure being reached from this annexe. Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (RD) 8 March 1968 This fort is situated on the rocky knoll that forms the summit of Cruise Back Fell. Measuring 48m by 25m overall, the fort is divided into two enclosures, one occupying the summit of the knoll and the other a terrace at a lower level on the S. The upper enclosure is roughly circular, measuring about 18.5m in diameter over a wall reduced to a mound of rubble about 6m in thickness by 0.9m in height. Little of the wall is now in situ, however, and the main weight of the rubble probably lies within the line of the inner face, a short stretch of which is visible on the ENE. On the S the wall of the lower enclosure forms a mound of rubble about 8m thick and 1.5m high, but little more than a scatter of stones remain where it runs back to meet the wall of the upper enclosure. On the E the wall rises up over a rocky spine that projects southwards from the summit and reduces the occupiable part of the enclosure. To an area measuring about 20m from N to S by 8m transversely. Below the entrance, which is on the W side of the lower enclosure, there are traces of walls enclosing a terrace on the W side of the knoll. RCAHMS 1987, visited (SH) June 1986
  • Architectural notes
    N/A

Related material information

DIGITAL NON-IMAGE FILE

  • 61644 (1951)
    Scanned copy of RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey unpublished typescripts (Wigtonshire).

PRINTS AND DRAWINGS

  • 61644 (5/6/1986)
    Plane-table survey: Cruise Back Fell fort.
  • 61644 (1986)
    Survey drawing pencil

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Wigtownshire, Sheet 111846-7