Sign in / register

Old Greenlaw

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    N/A
  • Canmore ID
    58554
  • Site type
    BURGH, SETTLEMENT
  • Parish
    GREENLAW
  • Council
    BERWICKSHIRE
  • NGR
    NT 716 445
  • Latitude, longitude
    55.693127N, 2.453343W
  • Archeological notes
    NT74SW 13 716 445 NT74NW 33 71057 46001 Greenlaw NT 716 445. Old Greenlaw is said to be 'the original town of Greenlaw' (R Gibson 1905), and was erected a burgh of barony in 1596, (G S Pryde 1965), although 'there is no reason to believe that it was much more than a hamlet'. In 1868 the 'mansion-house' of Old Greenlaw (at NT 7174 4465 on OS 6" 1862), a building of 'two storeys, with a tower above' was pulled down. In a field immediately to the E there was traditionally a 'churchyard'. RCAHMS 1980, visited 1979.
  • Architectural notes
    N/A

Related material information

PRINT ROOM

  • 58554 ()
    Distant view of hillside showing pile of rubble and trees, probably seen from Castle Inn with another copy of same.

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Berwickshire, Sheet XXI1857

1st edition 25-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile Berwick, Sheet 021.161857