Sign in / register

Polwarth Castle

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    N/A
  • Canmore ID
    58489
  • Site type
    CASTLE
  • Parish
    POLWARTH
  • Council
    BERWICKSHIRE
  • NGR
    NT 7490 4993
  • Latitude, longitude
    55.742098N, 2.401349W
  • Archeological notes
    NT74NW 10 7490 4993. (NT 7490 4993) Polwarth Castle (NR) (Site of) OS 6"map, Roxburghshire, (1908). Polwarth Castle stood halfway between the village and the church, its site marked by a clump of Scotch firs. The lands of Polwarth were held by a family of the same name of whom little is known, although they are said to have been established before 900, but the name is first mentioned in a charter of the time of Alexander II (1214-49). M Warrender 1894. A mound of earth and stone now marks the site. There are no traces of any building foundations. Visited by OS(RD) 22 July 1970. There are no visible remains of this castle, and the date of its construction is unknown. RCAHMS 1980, visited 1979.
  • Architectural notes
    N/A

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Berwickshire, Sheet XXII1858

1st edition 25-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile Berwick, Sheet 022.011858
 Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile Berwick, Sheet 022.011858
 Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile Berwick, Sheet 022.011858