Sign in / register

Luffness, Carmelite Friary

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    FRIARY AND FISH PONDS; LUFFNESS CONVENT; LUFFNESS FRIARY
  • Canmore ID
    55042
  • Site type
    FISHPOND, FRIARY
  • Parish
    ABERLADY
  • Council
    EAST LOTHIAN
  • NGR
    NT 47117 80138
  • Latitude, longitude
    56.01124N, 2.849733W
  • Archeological notes
    NT48SE 2 47117 80138 (NT 47117 80138) Remains of Friary (NR) (Carmelite) (NT 47173 80231) Fish Ponds (NR) (Remains of) OS 6" map (1968) The house of Carmelite friars at Luffness is first mentioned in 1335-6, but may have been founded in the previous century. No references to it have been found after 1512, but lands formerly belonging to it were leased by the crown in 1609. The foundations of the church can be clearly discerned, but the associated buildings have almost entirely disappeared. About 100 yds NE of the church are the remains of two fishponds, and 100 yds further in the same direction is a fragment of building, now incorporated in a boundary wall. D E Easson 1957; RCAHMS 1924; Trans E Lothian Antiq Fld Natur Soc 1929 The remains are as described above. The walls of the church, which measures 31.0m x 8.0 m, average 0.7m wide and 0.7m high except at the E end on the N side, where the wall is 1.7m high. All that remains of the two fish ponds are two waterlogged hollows overgrown with rank grass or weeds. They have a maximum depth of 1.5m. The fragment of building mentioned above was located at NT 4730 8026. It consists of the NW angle of a building, the N side being 0.5m long, the W side, 3.0m long, and standing to a height of some 3.5m. There are two blocked-up slit windows in the N wall. Revised at 25". Visited by OS (WDJ) 21 November 1962 No change to previous field report. Visited by OS (SFS) 16 July 1975 At the E end of the N wall of the church, a recess contains an effigy of a knight in late 13th century armour. The position is that normal for a founder's tomb. This effigy proves that the friary was founded several decades before it first appears on record. Also, the proportions of the church compare with late 13th century mendicant churches outside Scotland (e.g. Alnwick Carmelites, Brecon Dominicans). C McWilliam 1978. Scheduled as 'Luffness Friary, ...the remains of Luffness Convent'. Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 14 February 2002.
  • Architectural notes
    Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC23156- DC23160, 1926.

Related material information

PRINTS AND DRAWINGS

  • 55042 ()
    Ground floor plan.
  • 55042 ()
    Location plan.
  • 55042 (1913)
    Plan.
  • 55042 (1985)
    Ground floor plan.

PHOTOGRAPHS

  • 55042 ()
    Site plan. Copied from DC14370.
  • 55042 ()
    Ground plan. Copied from DC14371.
  • 55042 (1986)
    View of remains.
  • 55042 (1986)
    View from W of walk to monastery.
  • 55042 (8/1956)
    Interior. View of room.
  • 55042 (1988)
    View of tomb in chancel.
  • 55042 (1988)
    View of N wall of chancel.
  • 55042 (1988)
    View of N wall of chancel from S, showing entrance and tomb recess.
  • 55042 (1988)
    View of base of buttresses of E wall.
  • 55042 (1988)
    View of foundations.
  • 55042 (1988)
    General view of nave from W.
  • 55042 (1988)
    General view of nave from W.
  • 55042 (1990)
    View of base of buttress in E wall.
  • 55042 (1990)
    View of base of buttress in W wall.
  • 55042 (1990)
    View of foundations at SE corner of nave.
  • 55042 (1990)
    General view of nave from E.
  • 55042 (1990)
    View of N wall of chancel from N.
  • 55042 (1990)
    View of N wall of chancel from S, showing entrance and tomb recess.
  • 55042 (1990)
    General view of nave from W.
  • 55042 (1990)
    Detail of shield of effigy in tomb recess.
  • 55042 (1990)
    View of effigy in tomb recess.
  • 55042 (1990)
    Detail showing fragment of window tracery.
  • 55042 (1990)
    Detail showing fragment of moulded stone.
  • 55042 (1990)
    Detail showing fragmentory base.
  • 55042 (1990)
    Detail showing fragmentory base.
  • 55042 (1990)
    Detail showing inscribed grave slab.
  • 55042 (1990)
    View of base of buttress in E wall.
  • 55042 (1990)
    General view of Nave from W.
  • 55042 (1990)
    View of N wall of chancel from S, showing entrace and tomb recess.
  • 55042 (1990)
    Detail of shield of effigy in tomb recess.
  • 55042 (1990)
    View of effigy in tomb recess.
  • 55042 (1988)
    View of chancel steps and tomb.
  • 55042 (1988)
    View of nave from W.
  • 55042 (1988)
    View of Nave from W.
  • 55042 (1988)
    General view of West end.
  • 55042 (1988)
    General view of tomb in chancel.
  • 55042 (1988)
    Detail showing tomb in chancel.
  • 55042 (1988)
    General view showing tomb.
  • 55042 (1928)
    General view from E.
  • 55042 (1928)
    General view from W of house with the old moat in foreground.
  • 55042 (1928)
    View of NE corner of ruins with recumbent effigy of unknown mail-clad warrior.
  • 55042 (1986)
    View of remains.
  • 55042 (1986)
    View of remains.
  • 55042 (1983)
    Aerial view.
  • 55042 (1983)
    Aerial view.
  • 55042 (1983)
    Aerial view.
  • 55042 (1983)
    Aerial view.

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Haddingtonshire, Sheet 41853