Sign in / register

Smeaton House

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    DALKEITH HOME FARM; SMEATON HOME FARM; SMEATON CASTLE
  • Canmore ID
    53473
  • Site type
    TOWER HOUSE, WALL(S)
  • Parish
    INVERESK (EAST LOTHIAN)
  • Council
    MIDLOTHIAN
  • NGR
    NT 34787 69689
  • Latitude, longitude
    55.915853N, 3.044919W
  • Archeological notes
    NT36NW 44 3479 6969. (NT 3479 6969) Smeaton Castle, once a large courtyard style castle, is now named Dalkeith Home Farm. It appears to have been an impressive establishment of possibly the 15th c, with later alterations, enclosing an oblong courtyard, with circular flanking-towers at the angles, of which only those at the NW and SW remain, with a main range of lower level along the S curtain wall, now modernised. No traces of the E towers or perimeter walling on that side are now evident. Indications of the moat remain. The main feature is the SW tower, circular, but with a square-tower attached to the E. Entire to the eaves-course, it has a modern roof. It is now four storeys high but the floor levels have been altered; some of the windows have been enlarged. The slightly smaller NW tower has been reduced in height. The section of curtain walling connecting the towers bears a series of fairly large windows, old but not original. Presumably a lean-to building was erected here, possibly a large hall. The range along the S front, always the main dwelling-house, now retains no original features externally, except for the basement course and two small windows. An early reference shows that the lands of Smeaton belonged to Dunfermline Abbey in 1450. In 1563, a charter was confirmed to Robert Richardson, Treasurer of Scotland. Another charter of 1576 mentions the fortalice, though the surviving buildings indicate a date earlier than this. It may be noted that in 1547, after the Battle of Pinkie, the English commander methodically destroyed all the substantial buildings in the area. It is hardly likely that Smeaton escaped. Possibly it was this derelict property that the Treasurer restored. N Tranter 1970 Smeaton Castle, in use as a farmhouse, is as described. Visited by OS (BS) 31 October 1975
  • Architectural notes
    NMRS REFERENCE: ARCHITECT: James Smith 1710 - 1711 (Attribution) John Adam visited to inspect for necessary repairs June 1752. EXTERNAL REFERENCE: Scottish Record Office RHP 9520 1718 - plan of lands RHP 9521 1799 - plan of lands

Related material information

MANUSCRIPTS

  • 53473 (1952)
    Newscuttings regarding the sale, letting, demolition and possible preservation of various buildings.

PHOTOGRAPHS

  • 53473 (1975)
    View of garden wall.
  • 53473 (1961)
    View from SE.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    View from SW.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    View from W.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    Detail of garden wall.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    View from W.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    View from S.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    View from E.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    View from E.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    View from E.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    View from SE.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    View from S.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    View from SW.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    View from SW.
  • 53473 (5/1961)
    General view from SW.
  • 53473 ()
    General view.
  • 53473 (1975)
    View from N.
  • 53473 (1975)
    General view.
  • 53473 (1975)
    View of tower.
  • 53473 (1967)
    View from SW.
  • 53473 (1967)
    View from SW.
  • 53473 (1967)
    View from N.
  • 53473 (1967)
    View from SE.
  • 53473 (1967)
    View from SE.
  • 53473 (1967)
    View of garden wall.

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Haddingtonshire, Sheet XIII1853
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Edinburghshire, Sheet 71852-3