Sign in / register

Edinburgh, George Street, St Andrew's And St George's Church

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    N/A
  • Canmore ID
    52433
  • Site type
    CHURCH
  • Parish
    EDINBURGH (EDINBURGH, CITY OF)
  • Council
    MIDLOTHIAN
  • NGR
    NT 25425 74101
  • Latitude, longitude
    55.954123N, 3.195888W
  • Archeological notes
    N/A
  • Architectural notes
    NT27SE 387 25425 74101 Architects: Major Andrew Fraser; Alexander Stevens - contract for building church 1786; Robert Kay - submitted design for a square church 1781; William Sibbald - spire NMRS Print Room George Street, Church of St Andrew and St George 3 prints - view of the spire W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection Acc No 1997/39

Related material information

PHOTOGRAPHS

  • 52433 (1970)
    Interior view of St.Andrew's and St.George's Parish Church, George Street showing detail of ceiling above organ gallery.
  • 52433 (1970)
    View of St. Andrews and St. Georges Church,George Street looking NE
  • 52433 (1940)
    General view of George Street looking East
  • 52433 (1940)
    View from West
  • 52433 (1940)
    View from South West
  • 52433 (1950)
    Interior, with the pulpit removed in 1952
  • 52433 (1950)
    View from South East
  • 52433 ()
    Photographic copy of three drawings pasted onto one sheet: 1 Callender House - Section of South side of Dining Room (James Craig). 2 Callender House - Design for a belvidere, tea house or temple 3 St Andrew's Church - Design for spire (?) RCAHMS Survey of Private Collections, Callendar House Drawings.
  • 52433 (1840)
    View from the Mound towards the Royal Scottish Academy building (National Gallery of Scotland not yet built). Titled: 'The Mound in 1840 (looking North from top)'. On card embossed 'Edinburgh & North Berwick'
  • 52433 ()
    Photographic copy of engraving showing general view of George's Street, St Andrew's Church and Lord Meville's Monument.
  • 52433 (1794)
    Photographic copy of print showing a view of St Andrew's Church and George's Street New Town. Copied from, Edinburgh, Traveller's Companion, "The traveller's companion through the city of Edinburgh and suburbs, comprehending a concise history of the city from the earliest accounts to the present period, with a description of the public buildings", Op. p.74, 1794.
  • 52433 (1850)
    Photographic copy of engraving showing general view. Titled: 'Edinburgh from the North Bridge'. Published by J L Smith Bookseller & Stationer, 1 Antigua Street.
  • 52433 (1957)
    Plan of St Andrew's and St George's Church, 1784-1789 & 1931-34. Page 98, from 'The Architecture of Scottish Post Reformation Churches 1560-1843', 1957, revised copy 2000.
  • 52433 ()
    Portrait of Col. Andrew Freazer by Zoffany which features elevation of the church in bottom left hand corner
  • 52433 ()
    SNBR advertisement at RIBA conference A E Haswell Miller/ColinMcWilliam
  • 52433 (1950)
    General view looking east
  • 52433 (1950)
    General view looking east
  • 52433 ()
    View of eastern half of street looking East
  • 52433 (1983)
    View of church from between columns of the Bank of Scotland's portico
  • 52433 (1967)
    Sketch view of exterior and article on the history of the church called 'Ten Guineas for the Best Church Design'
  • 52433 ()
    View of reconstructed interior and short comment
  • 52433 (7/4/1952)
    View of reconstructed interior with short comment
  • 52433 ()
    Copy of drawing showing the layout of the church for the General Assembly on 18th May 1843 where and when the Disruption took place
  • 52433 (1827)
    Edinburgh, George Street, St Andrew's Church Photographic copy of an engraved view of George Street, towards St Andrew's Square showing St Andrew's Church.
  • 52433 ()
    View of gallery and organ
  • 52433 ()
    Ceiling, interior look North and West (as ED/484)
  • 52433 ()
    From South West
  • 52433 ()
    Interior looking North
  • 52433 ()
    North side
  • 52433 ()
    Exterior view
  • 52433 (6/1957)
    Exterior view
  • 52433 (1960)
    View from South West
  • 52433 (1970)
    Finials. Old street-lamp in distant background
  • 52433 (1952)
    Detail of cornice
  • 52433 (1952)
    Detail of cornice
  • 52433 (1952)
    Detail of cornice
  • 52433 (1952)
    Detail of cornice
  • 52433 (1952)
    Detail of cornice
  • 52433 (1952)
    Detail of cornice
  • 52433 ()
    View from South West
  • 52433 ()
    View from South East
  • 52433 (1900)
    View from South East
  • 52433 ()
    View of church from South West
  • 52433 ()
    View of church from South East
  • 52433 (5/1966)
    General view of church from South East
  • 52433 ()
    View from North
  • 52433 ()
    View from South
  • 52433 ()
    View from North
  • 52433 ()
    View of pews from South
  • 52433 ()
    Detail of South arch
  • 52433 ()
    Detail of South arch and cornice
  • 52433 ()
    Detail of specimen pews
  • 52433 ()
    View from South West
  • 52433 (1983)
    General view of George Street looking West
  • 52433 (1982)
    General view of George Street looking West
  • 52433 ()
    General view looking East (Postcard)
  • 52433 ()
    North side from South East
  • 52433 (1941)
    General view looking towards St Andrew's Square
  • 52433 ()
    General view from South East of No.s 5-13 George Street and St Andrews Church.
  • 52433 ()
    Edinburgh, Shakespeare Square, Theatre Royal (Old). Photograph of engraved plan of Edinburgh surrounded by Vignettes, inscr; 'HAMILTON'S PLAN of the CITY OF EDINBURGH and its VICINITY 1827', surrounded by 18 perspective views, insc. (from top left) "Heriot's Hospital from the Castle Hill. Castle Barracks from the Canal. Edinburgh from Arthur's Seat. Castle and Royal Institution. St George's Church, Charlotte Square. St Andrew's Church, George Street. North Bridge and Nelson's Monument. St Paul's Church, York Place. St Mary's Church, Bellevue. Theatre Royal from the High Terrace. Register House and Waterloo Place. Edinburgh from Calton Hill. Royal High School, Calton Hill. Bridewell, Jail and Castle from Calton Hill. Palace of Holyroodhouse. High Street from Fountain Well. University and South Bridge. Castle and Grass Market from Head of Cowgate." Copied from Naismith Edinburgh Album, F.40

MANUSCRIPTS

  • 52433 (1958)
    Folder containing correspondence, notes, accounts and trade literature relating to numerous projects including chair designs; prefabricated housing; Bearsden Town Hall; Edinburgh, 34 Ravelston Dykes; 13 Lennox Street; 7 Munro Drive; 25 Royal Terrace; house at Grange Loan; housing developments in Prestonpans, Jamaica Street, Edinburgh and Kirkgate, Leith; proposed National Film School; the Yoyogi Sports Centre, Japan; the Richard J Neutra Institute, Los Angeles; illustrations for an article entitled 'A Visual Celebration for the Festival' with proposals for pedesrian precincts around Edinburgh including Charlotte Square, Princes Street, the Mound, St Andrews Church, and the Usher Hall; typescript for article entitled 'Design in the Festival'; an essay entitled 'A New Scotland Centre'; correspondence relating to the film 'New Town Blues' with locations at Livingston and Borthwick Castle; and a publication on Hutchesontown B, Glasgow.
  • 52433 (1958)
    Press cuttings and manuscript articles by John L Paterson, including for the Scotsman and Building Design, titled 'What's in a Name', 'Sod You Furniture', 'The City or God is Dog Backwards', 'Alternatives to the Museum', and 'A Visual Celebration for the Festival' with proposals for pedestrian precincts on Edinburgh, Charlotte Square; Princes Street; the Mound; around George Street, St Andrews Church; and the Usher Hall.

PRINTS AND DRAWINGS

  • 52433 (1966)
    Perspective elevations showing proposed tourist information panel outside the church.
  • 52433 (1787)
    Front elevation.
  • 52433 ()
    Sketch plan of stairs
  • 52433 ()
    Plan
  • 52433 ()
    St Andrew's Church - plan of Gallery level
  • 52433 ()
    Inside back cover - Gallery plan. Signed: 'Thomas Brown'
  • 52433 ()
    Sheet 7 - large scale detail of fitting (Sheets 4-7 details of proposed illuminating deals)
  • 52433 (22/6/1878)
    Sheet 6 - details (Sheets 4-7 details of proposed illuminating deals)
  • 52433 (22/6/1878)
    Sheet 5 - details (Sheets 4-7 details of proposed illuminating deals)
  • 52433 (15/1/1877)
    Sheet 4 - details (Sheets 4-7 details of proposed illuminating deals. All 11 Royal Exchange)
  • 52433 ()
    Sheet 3 - sketch showing proposed new seat for Band
  • 52433 ()
    Sheet 2 - Church ceiling plasterwork
  • 52433 ()
    Sheet 1 - sketch of Church of Clock
  • 52433 (1983)
    Inside front cover - ground floor plan. Signed: 'Thomas Brown'
  • 52433 ()
    Plan for new pulpit
  • 52433 (1948)
    Rough tracing from plan haging in Vestry "Disruption Plan"
  • 52433 ()
    Ground & gallery floor plans
  • 52433 ()
    Diagram of stucco ceiling
  • 52433 (3/1871)
    Elevation & plan

PRINT ROOM

  • 52433 (1800)
    Page 80/12 Engraving insc: 'St . Andrew's Church.', view from South East ALBUM NO 4: ARCHIBALD CRAIG SCRAPBOOKS VOL 1
  • 52433 (1850)
    ALBUM NO 4: ARCHIBALD CRAIG SCRAPBOOKS VOL 3 Volume 1 of three scrapbooks compiled c.1825-50, bound in leather, labelled on the spine and titled 'Scrap Book' and numbered I-III, and bearing the bookplate of Archibald Craig. In the front of Volume III there is a manuscript family tree. Archibald Craig b.1805, educated at Craigmount and the Edinburgh Institution, from whom volumes descend to Archibald Hugh Craig b.1892, (address under Copyright field); Archibald Hugh Baillie Craig b.1925 (address under Copyright field). The family, as Craig Bros., were wholesale and retail woollen merchants and hatters in Edinburgh, running a cloth warehouse on the South Bridge. The volumes, which reflect Archibald's diverse interests, contain a typical collection of cuttings but with an emphasis on military subjects. They include engravings and sketches of buildings in Edinburgh and the vicinity, miscellaneous drawings and an unidentified architect's design for a Monument to General Sir Ralph Abercromby (died 1801).
  • 52433 (1790)
    Front elevation and plan of St Andrew's Church, George Street Edinburgh
  • 52433 (1952)
    Large Pen and Ink wash in Elevation at Scale of One Inch Equals One Foot. New Pulpit In Saint Andrews Parish Church, Edinburgh.
  • 52433 (1950)
    Photographic view of steeple.
  • 52433 (1950)
    Photographic view of steeple.
  • 52433 (1950)
    Photographic view of steeple.
  • 52433 (1829)
    Edinburgh, engraving of George Street, St Andrew's & St George's Church, and Melville Monument beyond. Titled 'George Street, St.Andrews Church and Lo. Melville's Monument. Edinburgh. Drawn by Tho. H. Shepherd. Engraved byT. Barber.'
  • 52433 (1900)
    Page 5/4, East End of George Street, George IV, statue, and Melville Monument. Insc.: 'George Street, East End. George IV, statue. St George's Established Church, Scene of " The Disruption". Melville Monument, St Andrew Square'
  • 52433 (1820)
    Opposite page 262 Vignette of church & adjoining buildings. Insc.: 'St. Andrew's Church.'
  • 52433 (1829)
    Opposite page 34 Looking east, a view of church and monument Insc.: 'George Street, St.Andrew's Church, & Lord Melville's Monument'
  • 52433 ()
    Engraved view inscr; 'EDINBURGH FROM THE NORTH BRIDGE' 'Published by J. L. Smith, Bookseller & Stationer, 1, Antigua Street'
  • 52433 ()
    Page 9v 'A view of St Andrew's Church and George's Street New Town' ALBUM NO.111: ENGRAVINGS OF BUILDING OF SCOTLAND

SCANNED IMAGES

  • 1125077 (1940)
    View from West
  • 1125073 (1940)
    View from South West
  • 1125058 (1940)
    General view of George Street looking East
  • 1125015 (1900)
    View from South East
  • 1116562 ()
    From South West
  • 793301 (7/1967)
    View of the church from South West
  • 488983 ()
    View from South East
  • 460227 ()
    Interior, with the pulpit removed in 1952
  • 460226 ()
    Copy of drawing showing the layout of the church for the General Assembly on 18th May 1843 where and when the Disruption took place
  • 460224 ()
    Finials. Old street-lamp in distant background
  • 460220 ()
    General view from South East of No.s 5-13 George Street and St Andrews Church.
  • 460209 ()
    General view of church from South East
  • 457616 ()
    Frame 14
  • 457614 ()
    Detail of specimen pews
  • 457613 ()
    View from North
  • 457612 ()
    View from South West

  • 52433 ()
    DUMFRIES HOUSE LECTURE SLIDES

DIGITAL IMAGES

  • 1228532 (1829)
    Edinburgh, engraving of George Street, St Andrew's & St George's Church, and Melville Monument beyond. Titled 'George Street, St.Andrews Church and Lo. Melville's Monument. Edinburgh. Drawn by Tho. H. Shepherd. Engraved byT. Barber.'
  • 1132614 (1780)
    Digital copy of a drawing of St Andrew's and St George's Church, George Street, Edinburgh.

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Edinburghshire, Sheet 21852
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Edinburghshire, Sheet 21877