Downtime notice: Due to essential work on our servers all images supplied by NRS, including the digital volumes, will be unavailable from midnight on Friday 3 October until midnight on Sunday 5 October (GMT).
You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.
- Alternative name(s)
CORSTORPHINE; GOGARBURN HOUSE
- Canmore ID
- Site type
BROOCH (VIKING), HOARD (BRONZE)
EDINBURGH (EDINBURGH, CITY OF)
NT 164 719
- Latitude, longitude
- Archeological notes
NT17SE 13 164 719. A hoard comprising a Ewart Park type sword, 21 3/4" long, with a 4 1/2" long tongue-shaped chape and a 1 1/8" diameter lock-ring, all dating from the late 8th century BC, was found in 1811 when opening a gravel pit for the erection of the present Gogarburn House, a little S of it. A Finnish-type ring-headed brooch, 3" in diameter was also found at the same time and place. All the finds were donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1866 (Accession nos. DL 6, DL 7, FE 7, and FC 153 respectively). Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1868; J M Coles 1962; S Grieg 1940 When field investigated in 1953, tennis courts occupied the area of this discovery, c. NT 1645 7197. Visited by OS (JFC) 22 December 1953. (Ewart Park type - Northern step 2). Found in a gravel pit opened during the building of Gogarburn House, a little to the S of the house, in 1811. Sword hilt fragment with grip outline visible. Length 54.5cm, terminal width 4.15cm, shoulder width 4.95cm, maximum blade width 4cm. Surface badly corroded, dark green patina on blade, dark bron on hilt, rivets 1 (+1 bl): 2, none in situ. Edinburgh, Huntly House Mueum, (on loan : NMAS DL 6). C B Burgess and I Colquhoun 1988.
- Architectural notes
1st edition 6-inch maps
|Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Linlithgowshire, Sheet 7||1854-5|
|Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Edinburghshire, Sheet 5||1852|