Sign in / register

South Queensferry, Hawes Pier

Downtime notice: Due to essential work on our servers all images supplied by NRS, including the digital volumes, will be unavailable from midnight on Friday 3 October until midnight on Sunday 5 October (GMT).

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    SOUTH QUEENSFERRY, OLD FERRY PIER; FERRY SLIP; NEWHALLS ROAD; INNER FORTH ESTUARY; UPPER FIRTH OF FORTH; QUEENSFERRY NARROWS
  • Canmore ID
    50550
  • Site type
    PIER, SLIPWAY
  • Parish
    DALMENY
  • Council
    WEST LOTHIAN
  • NGR
    NT 13633 78497
  • Latitude, longitude
    55.991631N, 3.38609W
  • Archeological notes
    NT17NW 172.00 13633 78497 See also NT17NW 70 Forth Railway Bridge. NT17NW 172.01 NT 13585 78649 Beacon ('Lighthouse') NT17NW 172.02 NT 13683 78386 Lifeboat Station (Inshore rescue boat) Not to be confused with South Queensferry Harbour (NT 13017 78545), for which see NT17NW 71.00. For corresponding Town ('Ferry') Pier at North Queensferry, Fife (NT 13096 80274), see NT18SW 112.00. Hawes Pier [NAT] OS 1:10,000 map, 1984. Edinburgh, South Queensferry, Pier. Alexander Lavig. North and South Queensferry. Piers to West of existing landing places. Advertisement for tenders. (Edinburgh Evening Courant, March 2, 1797). John Paterson, Engineer. South Queensferry. Pier. Advertisement for tenders, 1803. (Edinburgh Evening Courant, July 9, 1803). (Undated) information in NMRS. (Listed under South Queensferry, West Lothian; Ferry Landings: location cited as NT 1378, NT 1478). The jetty at the Hawes Inn (NT17NW 112), which was in use until the ferry closed in 1964, is about 935ft [285m] by 85ft [25.9m] wide, and is divided longitudinally by a wall which begins 45ft [13.7m] out from the landward end and runs for 620ft [189m], being broken after 130ft [39.6m] by a gap 25ft [7.6m]. The masonry is large rubble, well squared and coursed, and with droving: a ramp of the same build, grooved for a marginal iron strap, leads down to the beach on the E at the landward end. Much of the top is cemented, but in places the original setts may be seen, and marginal slabs with some lozenge shaped keys of cement. The central wall is of large, neatly droved and well coursed blocks, stands 7ft 8ins [2.3m] high, and has a slightly rounded coping secured in part with oblong keys; it is heavily battered on both sides, decreasing in thickness from 8ft [2.4m] at the base to 5ft 2ins [1.6m] at the top. At the S end, however, the faces are made vertical for 10ft 9ins [3.3m] to accommodate a small mural chamber, now an engine-house, with a door on the W and a window on the E, neither perhaps original. Three feet N of the N end of this chamber, the W face of the wall contains an open recess 10ft 3ins [3.1m] long, 5ft [1.5m] and 5ft 4ins [1.6m] high, with an arched roof; the lintel at the face is supported by a battered column 1ft 3ins [0.4m] in diameter, the back of which extends into a kind of buttress, vertical at the back and 7ins [0.18m] thick. On the N wall of the recess is fixed a heavy iron ratchet-wheel with the end of its axis squared to take a crank-handle; the presence of a hole in the roof immediately above suggests that this was part of the mechanism of a semaphore. A similar recess appears in the E face, 12ft [3.7m] further N; this contains no machinery, and the ceiling is lintelled. A Graham 1971. (Location cited as NT 137 784). Ferry pier, Queejsferry, built c. 1812, engineer John Rennie. A ramped masonry ferry pier with a central wall. At the landward end is a hexagonal lighthouse [NT17NW 172.01]. J R Hume 1976. The Hawes Pier was [formerly, pre-1964] used by the ferry. Designed by Rennie and Stevenson, 1809-18, it has a little octagonal lighthouse [beacon: NT17NW 172.01] with rusticated base. C McWilliam 1978. The pier is situated at the east end of Queensferry Promenade. The stone pier is in good condition and used by the RNLI. Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 18th February 1996. This pier is situated at the E end of the seafront (NT17NW 72) at South Queensferry, to the E of the village (NT17NW 175), and immediately W of the Forth Rail Bridge (NT17NW 70). The design of the structure is that of a sloping slipway rather than a normal pier; it is useable at all states of the tide. Built and used until 1964 as the Southern terminus of the vehicular ferry across the Queensferry Narrows. Apart from use by recreational sailing vessels and motor cruisers, it now houses the local Inshore Rescue Boat station (NT17NW 172.02) and is the shore terminal for workboat sailings to the Hound Point terminals (NT17NE 65 and NT18SE 28). Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 3 March 2006.
  • Architectural notes
    N/A

Related material information

PRINT ROOM

  • 50550 (1964)
    View showing Forth Road Bridge, ferry boat and Capt. R. A. Mason.
  • 50550 (1964)
    Photograph titled on reverse "Capt. R.A.Mason, Ferry Passage."
  • 50550 (1964)
    View of ferry boat at slipway titled on reverse "Queen Margaret, last ferry on the passage. Closed by the Queen 4/9/64
  • 50550 (27/2/1961)
    Snapshot taken at slipway showing ferry boat.
  • 50550 (27/2/1961)
    Snapshot taken on Ferry at Hawes Inn.

SCANNED IMAGES

  • 451915 ()
    South Queesferry, Hawes Pier View along pier, from S
  • 451911 ()
    Queensferry, Hawes Pier View of W facing (inland) side, from SW
  • 1314961 (25/9/1948)
    Forth Rail Bridge and Hawes Pier, South Queensferry. Oblique aerial photograph taken facing south. This image has been produced from a print.

MANUSCRIPTS

  • 50550 ()
    J R Hume Industrial/CBA cards. Filed under West Lothian county, Dalmeny parish, Ferry Pier. Photographs noted. (See NMRS MS/749 entry for Collection description)
  • 50550 (1996)
    Survey archive: List of Vertical Aerial Photographs consulted in the NMRS, from Coastal Assessment Survey, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife'.
  • 50550 (1996)
    Survey archive: Record sheets and maps of Geology and Coastal Geomorphology Units , from Coastal Assessment Survey, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife'.
  • 50550 (1996)
    Survey archive: Record sheets and maps of Erosion Units, from Coastal Assessment Survey, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife'.
  • 50550 (1996)
    Report of coastal assessment survey for Historic Scotland: The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the border of Fife. (3 volumes) Revised version with amended text.
  • 50550 (1996)
    Survey archive: Record sheets from Coastal Assessment Survey, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife'.
  • 50550 (1996)
    Survey archive: Photographic register from Coastal Assessment Survey, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife'.

PHOTOGRAPHS

  • 50550 (1974)
    View from South West taken from the South Queensferry slipway.
  • 50550 (1974)
    View from South West showing the South Queensferry slipway on the right.
  • 50550 (1996)
    Survey photographs: Wooden posts W. of river Almond estuary; Eagle Rock and other features on the coast between Cramond and S. Queensferry including World War 2 defences at Hound Point and Barnbougle Castle; Forth Rail Bridge; Hawes Inn, garage, pier with lighthouse; buildings in S.Queensferry itself. Geology unit 22 and erosion unit 25 at Cramond, gology unit 20 at Long Green Beach, erosion unit 21 at Barnbougle, erosion units 18 and 19 at Pedraught Bay.
  • 50550 (1996)
    Survey photographs: Eagle Rock and other features on the coast between Cramond and S. Queensferry including World War 2 defences at Hound Point and Barnbougle Castle; Forth Rail Bridge; Hawes Inn, garage, pier with lighthouse; buildings in S.Queensferry itself. Geology unit 22 and erosion unit 25 at Cramond, gology unit 20 at Long Green Beach, erosion unit 21 at Barnbougle, erosion units 18 and 19 at Pedraught Bay.
  • 50550 (1967)
    South Queensferry, Hawes Pier. Detail of recess in central wall, showing semaphore mechanism.

DIGITAL IMAGES

  • 1070914 (21/3/2007)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the pier, slipway, lifeboat station and beacon, taken from the SW.
  • 1070913 (21/3/2007)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the pier, slipway, lifeboat station and beacon with the railway bridge adjacent, taken from the S.
  • 1070912 (21/3/2007)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the pier, slipway, lifeboat station and beacon with the railway bridge adjacent, taken from the SW.
  • 1070911 (21/3/2007)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the pier, slipway and lifeboat station with the railway bridge adjacent, taken from the SW.
  • 1070910 (21/3/2007)
    Oblique aerial view centred on the pier, slipway and lifeboat station with the railway bridge adjacent, taken from the NE.
  • 1110447 (6/5/2008)
    View from SE with road bridge behind
  • 1110446 (6/5/2008)
    View from SE with road bridge behind
  • 1110445 (6/5/2008)
    View from S with ferry ticket office
  • 1110444 (6/5/2008)
    View of pier light
  • 1110443 (6/5/2008)
    View of pier wall with rail bridge behind
  • 1110442 (6/5/2008)
    View of pier wall from SSE
  • 1110441 (6/5/2008)
    View from S
  • 1110440 (6/5/2008)
    View of pier wall and light
  • 1110434 (6/5/2008)
    View from SSW
  • 1110433 (6/5/2008)
    View from SW with rail bridge behind
  • 1110432 (6/5/2008)
    View from SW with rail bridge behind
  • 1110431 (6/5/2008)
    View from WSW

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Linlithgowshire, Sheet 31854-5
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Edinburghshire, Sheet 11852

1st edition 25-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile Linlithgow, Sheet 003.131854
 Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile Linlithgow, Sheet 003.131854