Sign in / register

Killaser Castle

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    KILLASSER; KILLASOR; KILLASTER; CAIRNHANDY
  • Canmore ID
    40205
  • Site type
    TOWER HOUSE
  • Parish
    STONEYKIRK
  • Council
    WIGTOWNSHIRE
  • NGR
    NX 0964 4509
  • Latitude, longitude
    54.764552N, 4.960414W
  • Archeological notes
    NX04NE 7 0964 4509. (NX 0964 4509) Killaser Castle (NR) (Remains of) OS 6" map (1957) The ruins of Killaser Castle rise from a mound measuring 65' N-S by 63' transversely, formed from the debris of fallen masonry. The Castle was originally a square keep measuring overall about 31' N-S by 28'9" transversely, of which only a portion of the N and E walls now remains, and was probably defended on all sides by a ditch of which there is an indication at the S end. D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911. As described above. The walls, 0.7m thick, rise to a maximum height of 3.0m and the springing of the east side of the vaulted ground floor is also visible. There is now no evidence of a ditch. The mound seems entirely composed of fallen masonry. Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (WDJ) 8 September 1970 The remains of this tower-house stand within the vestiges of a ditched enclosure in an area of low-lying ground 440m SE of Cairnhandy farmhouse. The rectangular tower (6.5m by 4.8m with a wall up to 2.1m thick) has been reduced to its lowest courses, but enough survives to indicate the presence of a vaulted ground floor, a mural passage and the possible provision for a stair or latrine at the NE angle. In 1684 Killaser was listed amongst the principle houses in the district, although Symson (in Macfarlane) erroneously states that it stood 1/2 mile E of Ardwell (NX14NW 14). D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; P H M'Kerlie 1906; RCAHMS 1912; RCAHMS 1985, visited June 1984.
  • Architectural notes
    N/A

Related material information

PHOTOGRAPHS

  • 40205 (1983)
    Aerial view of Killaser Castle from N.
  • 40205 (1983)
    Aerial view of Killaser Castle from NW.
  • 40205 (1983)
    Aerial view of Killaser Castle from E.
  • 40205 (1983)
    Aerial view of Killaser Castle from SE.
  • 40205 (1983)
    Aerial view of Killaser Castle from S.
  • 40205 (1985)
    View of Killaser Castle from E.
  • 40205 (1975)
    View from NE.
  • 40205 (1985)
    Distant general view of ruin.

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Wigtownshire, Sheet 271847-8