Sign in / register

Balcraig Castle

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    HATTON
  • Canmore ID
    32167
  • Site type
    CASTLE
  • County
    ANGUS
  • Parish
    NEWTYLE
  • Council
    ANGUS
  • NGR
    NO 3057 4060
  • Latitude, longitude
    56.552228N, 3.130992W
  • Archeological notes
    NO34SW 4 3057 4060. (NO 3057 4060) Balcraig Castle (NR) (Site of) OS 6"map, Angus, 2nd ed., (1903) Scarcely any traces remained of Balcraig Castle, which stood a short distance S of Hatton Castle (NO34SW 3) in 1845, and all trace of it had disappeared by 1885. New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; A J Warden 1880-5. No trace. Visited by OS (J L D) 5 May 1958. There are no visible remains of this castle which stood 450m SE of Hatton. Statistical Account (OSA) 1792; NSA 1845; A J Warden 1880-85; RCAHMS 1984.
  • Architectural notes
    N/A

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Forfarshire, Sheet XLIII1860-1861

1st edition 25-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile Forfar, Sheet 043.131860