Stranraer, Station Street, Stranraer Motive Power Depot And Railway Workshops
You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.
- Alternative name(s)
STAIR PARK; PORTPATRICK WORKS; TOWN RAILWAY YARD; STRANRAER MPD
- Canmore ID
- Site type
ENGINE SHED, GOODS STATION, RAILWAY TURNTABLE, RAILWAY WORKS
NX 06793 60482
- Latitude, longitude
- Archaeological notes
NX06SE 215 06793 60482 and 06770 60533 Town Railway Yard [NAT] (at NX 06697 60454) OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2009. For goods shed at NX 06690 60434, see NX06SE 170.01.
- Architectural notes
NX06SE 215 06793 60482 and 06770 60533 The remains of the railway motive power depot and works have been identified from oblique aerial views taken in 2008 (RCAHMSAP 2008). Visible are the abandoned sidings, goods platform, an engine shed, the infilled turntable pit and the area fomerly taken by the former workshops and engine shed (NX 06770 60583), now used as a scrapyard owned by King Brothers. The former Caledonian Railway engine stone built shed survives at NX 06793 60482, but most of the rest of the site has been cleared. The depot closed in 1966 when steam locomotive traction ceased in the area. The railway features are depicted on the Revision Edition of the OS 25-inch map (Wigtownshire, c.1918), which shows how the railway buildings were arranged. Originally there were two railway Companies at Stranraer, one from Dumfries via Dalbeattie (The Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint Railway), which continued to Portpatrick and the Joint Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway (GSWR) extension from Girvan to Stranraer with additionally, London and North Western and Midland Railway involvement. Originally there were four main strctures, reflecting the former Railway Companies, a Workshop/erecting/engine shed shop formerly the Portpatrick Works, Girvan shed, Caledonian shed and Joint shed. The Caledonian Railway Company being a three-road through shed and the GSWR building a much more substantial stone building, a two road, with another two road shed, the latter also used as a repair workshop. Information from RCAHMS(DE), January 2009
Related material information
- 1257106 (8/1930)
Stranraer, general view, showing Stranraer Harbour and Culhorn. Oblique aerial photograph taken facing east.
1st edition 6-inch maps
|Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Wigtownshire, Sheet 16||1847|