HOSPITAL (FIRST WORLD WAR), HOSPITAL (20TH CENTURY)
CADDER (CITY OF GLASGOW)
GLASGOW, CITY OF
NS 63454 68771
NS66NW 472 63454 68771
Nothing now remains of Robroytston Hosptial, a former sanatorium, which was situated about 500m SW of Auchinleck farmsteading.
The hospital consisted of two main buildings, one brick built E-shaped in plan the other H-shaped in plan and a series of nine brick built houses for wards. An additional eight houses were built to the NE and at a later date at least thirteen wooden huts were added immediately to the N. All of the above were set within extensive gardens and grounds.
The hospital is depicted on the Provisional Edition of the OS 25-inch map (Lanarkshire 1935-1938), but not the Revision Edition of 1922-1923. It was built in 1918 as a civil hospital but was used in 1918-19 as a military hospital specialising in venereal diseases.
The map shows the hospital before the addition of the wooden huts and that the facilities for patients included two tennis courts, a bowling green and a putting green. Cottages for staff would appear to have been built at the western end of the 20 hectare site.
The site is now occupied by a modern housing estate (Robroyston) along the line of the present Auchinleck Road and bounded by the M80 on the SE and Robroyston Road on the W side.
Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2008
Related material information
- 296329 (8/1974)
Oblique Aerial View from E of Glasgow, Robroyston Hospital.