Bannockburn, Milton Mill
You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.
- Alternative name(s)
- Canmore ID
- Site type
BYRE (19TH CENTURY)(POSSIBLE), FARMHOUSE (19TH CENTURY), HOUSE (18TH CENTURY), LADE, STABLE (19TH CENTURY)(POSSIBLE)
NS 802 899
- Latitude, longitude
- Archaeological notes
NS88NW 98 802 899 NS 802 899 A metal detector survey, archaeological evaluation and historic building recording were undertaken in July 2006 at Milton Mill, Bannockburn, to meet a condition placed on planning consent for a residential development. The site is located on the N side of the Bannock Burn and is considered to be part of the Battle of Bannockburn site. It overlooks an important crossing point on the Bannock Burn, which is mapped close to the mill in the 17th century. The metal detector survey was carried out first and produced a variety of metalwork, none of it thought to relate to the Battle of Bannockburn or to be otherwise archaeologically significant. Trial trenching, equating to a 7.5% sample of the development area, revealed a small number of agricultural features some of which may have been created in the late medieval period, as well as modern drainage features. The historic building recording comprised a descriptive record of a range of farm buildings that will be demolished during the development. The survey did not include a B Listed corn mill that lies just to the W. The surveyed buildings formed part of an agricultural group associated with a 19th-century farmhouse. They included two typical long rubble ranges of the 19th century, probably a byre and stable. At the E, a two-storey house and out-building are probably from the 18th century. A mill lade runs through the site from E to W; it is probably related to the early mills on the site, though surviving walling and culverts may be 19th-century. Archive and report to be deposited in NMRS. Report lodged with Stirling Council SMR and NMRS. Sponsor: CALA Homes (West) Ltd. Alistair Robertson and George Geddes, 2006.
- Architectural notes
1st edition 6-inch maps
|Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Stirlingshire, Sheet XVII||1860|
1st edition 25-inch maps
|Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile Stirling, Sheet 017.12||1860|