You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.
ENGINE SHED (19-20TH CENTURY), RAILWAY STATION (19-20TH CENTURY)
SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
NT 25128 40872
NT24SE 232.00 25128 40872
NT24SE 232.01 NT 25077 41038 Railway Engine Shed
Original terminus and goods shed of Edinburgh to Peebles Railway, opened in 1855. Built of stone and designed by the surveyor James Lorimer of Edinburgh. Subsequently closed to passengers when the extension to Galashiels was opened, the new station being built to the SE. Following the opening of the extension to Galashiels, this station became goods only until closure in the late 1950's.
A rail connection to Ballantyne's Woollen Mills (NT24SW 108) via a spur from immediately W of the engine shed (NT24SE 232.01. Station area included goods yard, engine shed and turntable.
The site is now occupied by a supermarket.
The station and engine shed are depicted on all editions of the OS 25-inch scale maps (Peeblesshire).
Information from RCAHMS (DE), January 2007
Related material information
- 992705 (27/5/1948)
Scanned image of RAF oblique aerial view of the N part of Peebles showing the Ballantyne's, Damdale and Damcroft Woollen Mills, Biggies Knowe, Elcho Street Brae and Corss Street.
Also visible is the old Peebles Station.
1st edition 6-inch maps
1st edition 25-inch maps