Crinan Canal, Glen Clachaig Feeder Reservoir System
You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.
- Alternative name(s)
- Canmore ID
- Site type
NR 8180 8838
- Latitude, longitude
- Archaeological notes
NR88NW 6.02 centred 8180 8838 The reservoirs for feeding the Crinan Canal were named by the engineer Hugh Baird in 1814 as Loch an Add, Loch na Faoilinn, Gleann Loch, Loch Clachaig, Cam Loch and Dubh Loch. In February 1859 the Camloch embankment collapsed and water rushed down into the canal via the lower reservoirs, causing more than a mile of its length to be filled with debris. J Lindsay 1968. The principal reservoir in Glen Clachaig collapsed in January 1811. RCAHMS 1992. This is a central point in the reservoir system feeding the Crinan Canal, the feeder channel heading N from this point towards Cairnbaan. The main lochs involved and visible on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1873, sheet clx), on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1900, sheet clxSW), on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1988) and on the OS 1:10000 raster map (ND) are Loch an Add, Loch na Faoilinn, Gleann Loch, Loch Clachaig, Cam Loch and Dubh Loch. Information from RCAHMS (MD) 28 June 2001.
- Architectural notes
Related material information
- 1314798 (28/7/1948)
Cairnbaan and Cruach na Speireig, Knapdale. Oblique aerial photograph taken facing south-west. This image has been produced from a print.
1st edition 6-inch maps
|Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Argyllshire, Sheet CLX||1865|