Sign in / register

Culduthel

Downtime notice: Due to essential work on our servers all images supplied by NRS, including the digital volumes, will be unavailable from midnight on Friday 3 October until midnight on Sunday 5 October (GMT).

You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Record Detail

  • Organisation
    RCAHMS
  • Alternative name(s)
    N/A
  • Canmore ID
    13508
  • Site type
    RING CAIRN
  • Parish
    INVERNESS AND BONA
  • Council
    INVERNESS-SHIRE
  • NGR
    NH 6619 4176
  • Latitude, longitude
    57.446365N, 4.231293W
  • Archeological notes
    NH64SE 26 6619 4176. (NH 66194176) Stone Circle [NR] (Remains of) OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906) Clava-type cairn, Culduthel: 'The cairn has been placed on a small natural rise. It is now at the edge of a patch of thin woodland. It has been so completely robbed that only a few stones of the peristalith remain in situ and a few more stones lie where they have fallen outwards form their original positions. The stones are considerable rounded boulders set on end, four of them contiguous. They vary in height from 1 foot 9 inches to 4 feet, the tallest being in the middle of the existing setting. There can be little doubt that they represent part of the south arc of a cairn kerb though they are not arranged on a true circle. On the OS 6"map of 1871 the site is marked as an almost complete circle lacking only part of the west side'. A S Henshall 1963, visited 11 April 1957; J Fraser 1884, A Low 1929. The remains of this cairn are described above. Visited by OS (J L D) 22 March 1962. NH 660 417 An evaluation was undertaken in May 2004 prior to housing development. A ring-cairn (NH64SE 26) assumed to be of the Clava type lies immediately NE of the site. Thirteen trenches (2000m2) were stripped, equivalent to 5% of the development area. Only one archaeological feature was uncovered, at the southern end of the site. This was a pit, circular in plan and filled with a charcoal-rich deposit. It was apparently isolated and no datable finds were recovered from the fill. Reports lodged with Highland SMR and the NMRS. Sponsor: Tulloch Homes Ltd. M Hastie 2004
  • Architectural notes
    N/A

Related material information

MANUSCRIPTS

  • 13508 (10/2006)
    Report on monitoring at Culduthel Phase 6, Inverness.

DIGITAL NON-IMAGE FILE

  • 13508 (1943)
    Scanned copy of RCAHMS Emergency Survey: Manuscripts (1943 Volume 2).
  • 13508 (1942)
    Scanned copy of RCAHMS Emergency Survey: Typescripts (Inverness-shire).

1st edition 6-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey six-inch to the mile, Inverness-shire (Mainland), Sheet XII1868-70

1st edition 25-inch maps

TitleDateOther parishes/counties
 Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile Inverness Mainland, Sheet 012.091875